Saturday, April 9, 2011

Beginning of "The Rest of our Lives"

So Jeff finally finished all his training for his switch from USMC to the Army as a medic.  Our first duty station is Ft. Riley, Kansas, which really doesn't bother me so much.  I've lived in the midwest and it's really an awesome place for a family, but does suck to leave friends and family behind. 

Well, after getting last night's news, it sounds like the kids and I will be staying put for at least another year here in good ol' Apopka, FL.  When Jeff arrived at the replacement company on base, he found out he was joining the 1st BN (battalion) 5th FA (field artillery).  Apparently, they are due to deploy sometime in the very near future...we're talking a month or two.  Don't get me wrong, I knew what "we" were signing up for...Lord knows I have enough family in the military to realize what could happen, but I really didn't want a deployment to happen so soon.

The kids have done so well, but they miss their daddy and seeing him everyday.  I know it kills him too.  I am more than ready to start the "true" Army lifestyle and be immersed in the "family" you have on base, even though I know it's not all roses.  Just to be in a place where there are hundreds of other families going through the exact same thing would be nice, but I also know I don't want the kids to have to adjust to a new school, new home, new friends, all while dealing with knowing Daddy had to deploy in the same year.  We all could use the family support system we have here in Florida.  I just know that him being away probably (at least it seemed like it) wasn't handled as well by me compared to how the kids handled it.  I was going crazy just with him being out of contact from us for the two weeks he was in FTX at the end of AIT..I sometimes wonder how I will handle a year long deployment where we more than likely won't be able to talk to him everyday.

In other news, Samantha seems to be doing well in Afghanistan.  I'm so proud at how much she seems to have thrived in the military, even though she seems fed up with things a lot at times, I know that's to be expected.   Jonathan is at Ft. Lewis and I know he's ready to be home and start school when he's done with his active duty time.  I just hope he plans to get back in as an officer...same as Samantha when she gets done with her active time.  They both need to realize the Army is completely different for an enlisted soldier than for an officer.

Either way, please continue your prayers for my family members who are servicemembers as well as all those people who are serving our country that I don't know.  God Blessings to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment