Sunday, April 17, 2011

He's Coming Home...

So, my last post was about switching units to 4th brigade.  Apparently Jeff made such a great impression to the men that were above him in rank in the unit he was originally assigned to that they "went to bat" for him and got him switched again...so we're back to deployment.  While I'm sad, I'm dealing with it, and trying to find out how to make this next year something positive for the kids!

First off...since it's Easter weekend, Jeff does have a four day, so he is planning to try and come home..and hopefully add a day or so to it.  They kids don't know, so it will be a surprise, but also, this is when we're going to sit down and break the news to them.  The past week have been an emotional one for us all.  My heart has been breaking almost every night lately, because both Hannah and Troy are struggling lately with dad being away.  I am sad he is having to go already, but after talking with my mom, she made me realize something.  It might be better for him to deploy now, while the kids are "used" to him being away.  It would be much harder if they were spending everyday with him again and then he had to go (at least I believe it would be).

Troy's really been struggling with some boys in his class name-calling.  He told me that he is having a problem "controlling his anger" and he told my mother in law that he's done trusting friends, because all of them have let him down, and that he has to "fight" his way to be respected.  I know it's been really hard on him not having Jeff around.  They are SO close!  I cherish every moment I have with Troy when he opens up to me, which is something he doesn't do with many people.

Hannah is doing awesome, but has her moments.  She really just wants to hug him. 

Worse off is I hate what it does to Jeff when they really let loose on the phone with him.  It absolutely tears him up, and he's not one to really show his emotion by crying, but I told him its okay.  The longest he ever went without seeing them was their month visit to PA this past summer to their grandparents.  Before that it was only a few days.  I know he really misses seeing their changes from this past year, and I know it will be hard on him doing this another year.

Add in my frustrations and then having to "hold it together" and we're talking about a time bomb.  The spouses really have it harder than I thought with playing both parents role, but then having to keep their own emotions in check, especially around the kids.  It's something I struggle with everyday.  When the kids breakdown, usually I really want to be right there with them crying, letting them know they are not alone, but tonight, like every night, it was "Daddy needs us to be strong because he needs to know that we are ok at home and he doesn't have to worry about us" and all that good stuff.

I guess that's enough babbling for now...I'll keep you posted on the visit...hopefully it will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment